Tourist Police was established in 1979 under the Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation. The special unit has been designated the task of providing security to visitors. The team of Tourist Police consists of officers who can speak and understand English and Hindi. They register complaints, investigate matters, provide protection and safety to tourists. They also try to ensure hassle-free trip for visitors and assist tourists when necessary. There are three units of Tourist Police forces in Kathmandu. While the main office is at the Tourist Service Center in Bhrikuti Mandap (Phone: 4247041, 4247037), the other two are in tourist areas Thamel (Phone: 4429750) and Basantapur (Phone: 4268969).
Here are some tips on how visitors can remain safe :
1. Inform you whereabouts immediately upon arrival to the local police or concerned embassy or consulate.
2. Use the services of government registered travel and trekking agencies only.
3. Stay only at government registered hotels, resorts, guest houses and lodges.
4. Use only those porters who are authorized by your travel agency or hotel.
5. Exchange foreign currency only at authorized places.
6. Never carry your wallet in the back pocket.
7. Make sure your wallet is in the inside jacket pocket or side pocket of the trousers.
8. Carry certified copies of documents and leave the originals and other valuables in the safe deposit box of your hotel.
9. Never leave these items unattended in your room and do not carry large sums of cash.
10. Carry travelers' cheque and limited amount of cash while on tour.
11. Never leave your luggage and other valuables unattended at any time, any place.
12. In case of theft or loss contact the nearest police station immediately.